Erdbeer-Bowle (Strawberry Punch)
Ingredients for 4 portions:
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs) fresh strawberries
- 1 bottle light Mosel wine (e.g. Riesling)
- 1 bottle ice-cold sparkling wine
- lemon balm (optional)
Preparation time: about 15 minutes (+ cooling time)
Per portion: 360 calories
- Wash and clean the strawberries, cut larger berries in half or quarters. Put the fruit in a bowl and pour the Mosel wine over it. Put in refrigerator to cool for 1 hour.
- Pour the berries and wine into a pitcher. Add the ice-cold sparkling wine, and if desired, sprinkle with small lemon balm leaves.
- Many other fruits work well for the Bowle also, for example, ripe peaches, raspberries, sour cherries, oranges — and also rose petals or woodruff (Waldmeister). The quality of the wines is decisive for the salubriousness. Whoever uses cheap wine and a lot of sugar, can expect a hangover the next day. Good quality wine and the natural aroma of the ingredients are the secret of a good Bowle.
Want to read more about this recipe? Find out how the challenge went. Want more Real German Cuisine? Check out the full recipe list organized by German state. Do you have an alternative recipe for this dish or helpful hints? Please let us know in the comments!