Last year, among the blog highlights, were posts on German cuisine, universal health care, and WWII. It won some awards and it’s author had to take a break for health reasons.
It’s a new year, and so far I haven’t thrown up! I’m still weak and suffering from nausea, but I’m keeping food down and gaining weight. I spent a couple hours at the mall on Wednesday, thoroughly enjoying a Ben & Jerry’s milkshake while Oliver played on the indoor playground and went on the carousel in the food court. I’m still recovering from that outing, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be up to going out again tomorrow. Better news: I’ve been feeling the baby move since January 1, and that very much helps to lift my spirits.
Now on to the review. Here’s the blog highlights from An American Expat in Deutschland in 2009:
- I wrote about my experiences with how Germans I’ve known have dealt with Germany’s actions during WWII
- I started doing the Real German Cuisine Challenge by making Semmelknoedel mit Pilzen (Bread dumplings with mushrooms)
- I continued my mostly weekly posting (except for recently due to personal illness and lack of camera) of my favorite photos of the week, Weekly Winners.
- I made my two favorite recipes so far in the Real German Cuisine Challenge, Kalbshaxn (Veal knuckle) and Harzer Lamb in Buttermilk. They’re both semi-expensive cuts of meat, but so worth it. I had wanted to make one of these two for my family for Christmas dinner (I’d just see which cut of meat was easier to obtain), but unfortunately didn’t have the energy for this.
- For my 7th anniversary of living in Germany, I wrote about how my expat journey began, discussing how tough it was for me to adjust to life here.
- I wrote a series on health care beginning with a description of health care in Germany, detailing my own experiences, giving reader submitted experiences with German health care and with universal health care around the world, and ending with a mythbusting post on universal health care.
- I participated in one of the national radio morning news show The Takeaway’s Healthcare Roundtables
- This blog was awarded 7th place in Tripbase’s 2009 Travel Blog Awards for the Best Expat Travel Blog.
- I attended the Whiney Expat Blogger Meet Up 2009 in Munich
- Then I got pregnant and life and blogging had to slow down a lot because I have been dealing with hyperemesis gravidarum
Here’s hoping 2010 is as eventful!