Real German Cuisine Challenge: Semmelknoedel mit Pilzen

by Christina Geyer on February 16, 2009 · 24 comments

For the first recipe in the Real German Cuisine Challenge, we made Semmelknödel mit Pilzen, or Bread Dumplings with Mushrooms.

Semmelknoedel mit Pilzen

I made this for dinner Saturday night and I thought it was pretty easy to make and tasted wonderful.  The dumplings weren’t as dense as I expected, but Rainer said they were perfect.  The sauce was really tasty, but we ran out when we had the second two portions for lunch on Sunday, so in the future, I might make 50% more sauce (but I did grow up in the south and love me some gravy, so I can’t say for sure that everyone would need extra sauce).  When I first poured the milk over the bread, I thought that it really wasn’t enough, so I added a little more milk.  After the eggs and other stuff were added later though, the dumpling dough was much too mushy, so I had to add in another Brötchen and some flour.  Lesson learned, stick to the recipe.

Except!  The sauce was not thick at all at the end of the cooking time, so I ended up added some cornstarch mixed with water to thicken it up a bit.

I also used champignon mushrooms, a mix of white and brown, and found the sauce plenty tasty.  There were shitake mushrooms in the store and I originally was going to use those but Rainer rejected that plan as straying too far from the original recipe.  He said next time I can make crossover Asian bread dumplings with shitake mushrooms.

Other participants:

Next challenge!

For this coming week, I’ve chosen Rahmgulasch (Creamy veal goulash).  It’s another recipe from the Bavaria section of the book.  So if you want to participate, prepare this dish sometime this week and the post about it next Monday.

And until you guys go through the list and pick out recipes you want us to do, I’ll just keep picking.  I’ve got half the recipe names translated to English, so there’s plenty of recipes there for you guys to choose from.  Nominate something!

1 Yelli February 16, 2009 at 1:32 pm

My challenge is up. They were DELISH! Definitely a keeper.

However, mine turned out a little mushy on the outside. Anyone have that problem or know what I might have done?

Yellis last blog post..Real German Cuisine Challenge – Bread Dumplings with Mushrooms

2 christina February 16, 2009 at 1:47 pm

That looks delicious! Will have to try it some time.

3 Scott February 16, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Yum!! I always end up wanting more sauce at the end for leftovers – glad we’re not the only saucy people out there!

Scotts last blog post..Chicken in a Cashew Nut Sauce plus Potatoes in Yogurt Sauce

4 Emily February 16, 2009 at 5:48 pm

I also made them and will be posting within the next few hours. As for “next” dishes, I would be for any of the Swabian favorites: Käsespätzle (Spaetzle with cheese) Maultaschen (Swabian pasta specialty) or Schupfnudeln (Potato pasta with sauerkraut). mmmmmm.

Emilys last blog post..“Bush is dead”?! and other problems of the press

5 Emily Flechtner February 16, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Here’s my Blog for the Real German Cuisine Challenge! Mmmmm Semmelknödel… http://americanwolpertinger.blogspot.com/2009/02/real-german-cuisine-challenge.html

Emily Flechtners last blog post..Real German Cuisine Challenge: Semmelknödel mit Pilzen

6 Harvey Morrell February 16, 2009 at 9:45 pm

All the entries looked really wonderful! I think I might have to make me some for tonight’s dinner. I’ll join in in the festivities when you get to Kässpatzen.

7 Christina G February 17, 2009 at 12:16 am

@christina: They were great and not terribly hard to make.

@scott: Glad there’s another sauce-lover out there!

@emily & harvey: Great! I think we’ll do Käsespätzle next then. Warning, the recipe calls for homemade Spätzle!

And I think the week after that will be Apfelstrüdel.

8 Kelsey February 17, 2009 at 2:11 am

That looks tasty!

9 Quickroute February 17, 2009 at 8:18 am

yummy – must give that a try!

10 Jientje February 17, 2009 at 7:03 pm

I think I might give this recipe a try, I’ve never made authentic Goulash before. I printed the recipe. But what is the difference between the heavy cream and the crème fraiche? Is heavy cream just ordinary cream?

Jientjes last blog post..Ruby Tuesday Rose Hips

11 Stephanie February 17, 2009 at 7:22 pm

I plan on making these tonight and will post the results tomorrow…. sorry but Vday weekend and 2 birthdays got in the way!!!
looks delish!

Stephanies last blog post..scrappin’ Tuesday!

12 Christina G February 17, 2009 at 7:29 pm

@kelsey: They were!

@quickroute: If you like mushrooms, I’d say they’re a must.

@jientje: Crème fraiche is more sour I think. Heavy cream is what you’d use to make whipped cream, Schlagsahne here in Germany.

@stephanie: Hope it turns out well, looking forward to your post!

13 Jessica February 17, 2009 at 10:13 pm

What a great idea. When you make something that isn’t half cream, I am in! ;) Can’t wait to see what next week’s selection is.

14 christina February 18, 2009 at 9:13 am

Here’s a pic of some “unsauced” Semmelknödel for comparison.

I think the consistency depends a lot on the bread you use. My dad has tried to make these in Canada and he says they just completely fell apart in the water every time. That’s why he lets my mother do most of the cooking. :-)

christinas last blog post..oy! and ouchie!

15 Stephanie February 18, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Here is my blog entry on them:

I thought the sauce was yummy – but I have to agree with your dad – mine were mushy and didn’t turn out so well – but that could be b/c of the bread – or the fact that I should have tested one first, then add more bread or flour to help bind it together more!
Thanks for the challenge – and Jessica, you can modify the recipes – I am doing it to fit my diet….. may not be 100% authentic – but it stills allows me to try! :-)

Stephanies last blog post..Semmelknodel mit Pilzen (Bread Dumpling with Mushrooms)

16 Emily February 18, 2009 at 2:05 pm

to all you “mushy dumpling” cooks out there. Mine turned out really well, but my first “test dumpling” fell apart after about 2 minutes in the water. So I added one more egg and a bunch of breadcrumbs and tried again. Then it held together really well. I also really compacted my dumplings, and I used 50 grams more bread than the recipe calls for. The test dumpling is the key to success!

17 Annie @ PhD in Parenting February 20, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I’m in when you do the homemade Spätzle! I even have a Spätzlepresse in my kitchen.

Annie @ PhD in Parentings last blog post..More Parenting and Breastfeeding Bingo

18 Jientje/heaveninbelgium February 21, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Hi Christina! I just prepared the Gulash, and it is DELICIOUS!!!!! I’ll blog this recipe on Monday!!

Jientje/heaveninbelgiums last blog post..Photo Hunt " Warm"

19 Jientje/heaveninbelgium February 21, 2009 at 7:59 pm

My husband sends his regards. That Gulash is to die for!!

Jientje/heaveninbelgiums last blog post..Photo Hunt " Warm"

20 Christina G February 21, 2009 at 8:24 pm

@christina: Thanks for the link!

@jessica and stephanie: I encourage you to adapt recipes, it’ll be great to read how the recipes turn out.

@emily: I agree, the test dumpling is really important.

@annie: I don’t have one of those, but I think the neighbors do!

@jientje: Glad you liked it! Can’t wait to read your post about it!

21 Cathy February 22, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Hey thanks for the recipe! I tried it today and it passed my German’s standards. Mine didn’t break apart, though I put too much lemon juice in my mushroom sauce.

It was a great recipe, and thanks for posting it in English!

22 Christina G February 22, 2009 at 10:38 pm

@cathy: Glad you tried and liked it! Mine had just enough lemon juice, but I can easily imagine that a drop or two more and it would have been too much.

23 Jackie December 27, 2009 at 1:22 am

Help… I married into a German family (not that part). Grandma Marie made traditional German potato balls that everyone loved each Christmas. Her daughter-in-law, Maryann kept up the tradition each year; however, without success–ever. She sadly passed away last year. It is now ‘my’ tradition. However, I don’t want to fail.. G’ma Marie’s recipe called for potatoes, farina and salt (with a crouton in the middle). No egg. So far, I’ve determined that you have to grate the potatoes really small, but the crouton takes on water, and boy are they ugly. Any help? Ideas? I’ve googled to no end.

24 ClubPenguinCheats June 3, 2010 at 8:18 am